Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Picture Is Worth...

If you have never had the pleasure of experiencing the Columbia River Gorge early in the morning you are missing one of the truely great simple gifts in life.

Each year, for the last five years between April and October, I jump in my car once a month at about 8 am and make the 90 minute trek between Camas, Washington and Horsethief Lake at Columbia Hills State Park, to work as a volunteer tour guide.

Each time I look forward to the sights and sounds which nature might have in store for me that day.  It is always different and always changing.

In the spring coulds and fog often hang in the mountains like cotton candy waiting to be plucked from the sky.  Early in the summer you will find wildflowers dotting the landscape adding a burst of color to an other wise monotone view.  Then in the fall there are the leaves!  So many different shades of red, yellow, green and orange! Nature truely is the master artist.
 
Last weekend I made my first trip of the season to Horsethief Lake and I was not dissapointed in the treat nature had waiting for me that day.  
Columbia River looking east from Cape Horn


As usual I drove a little slower near the area on HWY 14 known as Cape Horn to take a look up river.  The view from the pull-out there has to be the best there is on the north side of the river in Washington state. Saturday, March 26th was no exception.

To say the least it was sureal. There was a partial rainbow extending from the bottom of the clouds into the foothills just as they met the rivers edge.  It looked as if God had picked up a paint brush and swished it downward across the sky.  The combination of the cotton candy clouds, mountains, river and viberant partial rainbow was literally breath taking!

I wasn't the only one blessed to experience this amazing act of nature.  There were several cars at the pull-out whose occupants were armed with camera's, snapping away, hoping to capture the masterpiece before it dissappeared.

It will be another month before I again head east to Horsethief Lake but I'm already looking forward to what ever new & exciting opportunity nature may have waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment